It doesn’t matter if you’re a first-time traveler to Tanzania or an experienced safari vet. Choosing the right safari and tour package can still be hard. There are so many options and variables to consider, like which of the incredible national parks you want to visit, when is the best time to go on a safari adventure, and how much money you have available for your trip. We’ll cover all that in this post and then introduce some of our favorite tours to get you started planning your next great African adventure!
How to Choose the Best Safaris and Tours in Tanzania
Choosing a safari is a big decision and it can be difficult to know what you are looking for. There are many different options, so it’s important to know what you want before you start searching. Here are some guidelines that will help you find the perfect safari experience:
- Choose a safari based on your budget. Numerous factors contribute to the price of a safari, including the number of days spent on land (or water), the level of accommodation, how much walking is involved in each day’s activities, and more. If money is not an issue then there’s no reason why you shouldn’t go all out with luxury lodges and flights in private planes! However, if funding is tight then consider staying at cheaper campsites where meals are included as part of their tour packages or even trying self-drive routes where transport costs are lower but there won’t be someone else doing all the driving for us!
- Choose a safari based on what YOU want/need from it: Are they interested in birdwatching? Wildlife photography? Mountain climbing? Surfing at night time under moonlight only…? The list goes on…so do their preferences! We all have different interests when it comes down to these kinds of things; some people love nature walks while others would prefer something more adventurous like white water rafting down rapids or hiking up mountainsides surrounded by wildlife instead… there’s nothing wrong with either option but it must be remembered beforehand so as not waste money unnecessarily later down the road after booking out too far ahead without knowing beforehand how well suited they were going
How to Plan a Trip to Tanzania
- How to Plan a Trip to Tanzania.
- What to See in Tanzania.
- How to Get to Tanzania.
- What to Pack for Your Trip.
- How to Get Around Tanzania and the National Parks You’d Like To Visit?
- Getting From Arusha Airport or Dar Es Salaam Port To The National Parks? Or From One National Park To Another? If you are planning a trip from one park (or city) to another, you can use public transport such as trains, buses, or planes. Public transport is available throughout the country with most of them being operated by TANZANIA RAILWAYS (TRAIN), TAXIS, AND AEROPLANES at affordable rates that will suit every budget. There are also various ways of getting around within each national park: on foot, mountain biking (rafting), horse riding, etc.
When is the Best Time to Go on Safari?
The best time to go on safari is dependent upon what kind of safari you are looking for. If you want to see the Great Migration, then October-November is your only window. However, if you’re looking for a more varied experience, then there are several seasons in which no matter where in Tanzania you go on safari, there will be something exciting to see!
The dry season runs from May through October and represents the ideal time for wildlife viewing. Wildlife moves during this period because it’s hot and dry so they have access to water sources from natural springs as well as manmade wells. The dry season also sees animals congregating near roadsides where vegetation has been cleared for firewood or grazing (since most grasses die off during this time). This means that game drives are guaranteed sightings but it also means that spotting leopards are easy! The downside? You’ll likely encounter some dust storms!
The wet season runs from November through April and is another great option if you’re looking for an unforgettable safari experience. During this period, water levels rise in many rivers which attracts large herds of elephants (and other animals) who come down from higher ground looking for food amidst lush vegetation full of berries and fruits grown by local farmers along their banks (as well as tasty farms!). With plenty of grassy areas nearby too and generally cooler temperatures than during summer months this makes a great opportunity
What Types of Accommodation is Available?
There are many types of accommodation available in Tanzania. These include camping, lodges, tents, cottages, and bungalows. When you book a safari package with us we will help you to select the right type of accommodation based on your preferences or budget. Here are some of the different types:
- Safari Tents: These rooms are normally found at campsites and have their private bathroom with shower and toilet facilities.
- Safari Cabins: They can offer more privacy than a tent but do not have their bathrooms as they share ones with other rooms (usually four). Some might come with air conditioning but this is generally only found at higher-end establishments where guests often stay for longer periods at one time due to their unlimited game drives offered each day throughout the year.”
Do I Need to Book My Accommodation in Advance?
If you are looking to save money and get the best deals, then yes. We have put together a list of safari operators that offer last-minute deals based on availability. You can check them out here:
This is especially useful if you are not sure what time of year you want to travel or where specifically in Africa you want to go on your safari holiday.
What’s Included in the Cost of the Safari or Tour?
The cost of your safari or tour will include the following:
- Meals. Most safaris and tours include meals, but if yours does not, you can expect to spend about USD 20 per day on food.
- Accommodation. The accommodation provided by safari operators ranges from basic campsites to luxury tents with en suite bathrooms and hot showers. You may be able to negotiate to get a discount if you’re traveling as a group or with children who aren’t old enough to pay full price for their room at night (usually under age 12).
- Transportation. If you’re driving yourself, gas and road tolls are included in your package; otherwise, they are extra charges that should be factored into your budgeting process before embarking on your journey through Africa’s game reserves!
What are the Different Types of Safaris Available?
There are many different types of safaris available in Tanzania. Here are some of the most popular:
- Game drives.
- Walking safaris.
- Boat safaris.
- Hot air balloon safaris.
- Wilderness safaris.
- Photo safaris.
- Photography Safaris.
- Mountain biking safaris.
Here are a few other options that you might want to consider before booking your trip:
What Types of Vehicles Are Used For Safaris?
Safari vehicles are equipped with a pop-up roof, a roof-mounted viewing platform, or an open-air roof. The type of vehicle you choose will depend on your preferences, budget, and the type of safari you seek.
This style of the car allows you to be close to the wildlife while remaining safe inside the car. These vehicles have large windows that allow you to see out without damaging the vehicle’s exterior or interior. A pop-up roof makes it easier for passengers to see animals from all angles but limits their view when driving through tall grasses or thick underbrush where visibility is poor.
Roof-Mounted Viewing Platform
A viewing platform is similar to a pop-up roof except it does not retract into the car when not in use. This style provides more space for passengers than a pop-up but also prevents them from entering uncomfortable situations such as getting stuck in high grasses or deep mud holes that can happen when driving off-road with this type of vehicle (Note: Always check with your guide before venturing off-road).
Is there Insurance Cover Available for African Safaris?
While most tour operators and safari companies offer basic medical insurance, it’s not always enough to cover the costs of an injury or illness that could happen while on your trip. In this case, you should look into buying additional travel insurance.
Depending on which company you use and what type of plan you choose, travel insurance can be much more comprehensive than basic medical coverage. Some policies also include theft protection services that help reimburse clients if their belongings are stolen during their adventure abroad.
Here are some of the best safari insurance companies:
What are the Big 5 Animals Likely To See on a Safari in Tanzania?
The Big Five are the most sought-after animals in Africa and are found in many national parks across Tanzania. The African lion, elephant, Cape buffalo, rhino, and leopard are all dangerous animals and will require a professional guide to ensure that you have a successful safari. While there are many safaris available in Tanzania, we’ve put together the best options below:
Who Goes on Safaris to Tanzania?
- Family Safaris.
- Group Safaris.
- Adventure Safaris.
- Luxury Safaris.
- Budget Safaris.
- Student and Senior Travelers: Tanzania is a great place to go on safari if you are looking for value, as it is one of the least expensive destinations in East Africa. With that said, however, it’s also wise to note that there are some hidden costs associated with traveling across Africa as a senior or student. For example, we recommend taking an international health insurance policy before your trip (which can be purchased online) since clinical care and medication in Tanzania may not be covered by US-based health insurance policies. You should also consider purchasing travel insurance for peace of mind during your travels abroad!
What is Game Viewing Like from a Balloon Over Africa’s National Parks?
- A balloon over Africa safari is a great way to see the wildlife in Tanzania’s national parks. If you love game viewing, this is one of the best ways to get up close and personal with your favorite animals. The Serengeti balloons can take passengers as high as 500 feet above ground level, giving them an amazing bird’s-eye view of the vast plains below.
- Balloon safaris offer a unique perspective on wildlife viewing that simply cannot be matched by any other means of transport. Balloonists can see animals from up close without disturbing their natural habitat or causing undue stress for these beautiful creatures. Even better, they can spot animals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to see on foot or in vehicles like 4×4 jeeps and safari buses
You can tailor your African safari vacation according to your budget
There are several factors to consider when choosing a safari. These include:
- your budget.
- the availability of your schedule.
- the types of animals you want to see, and/or activities you want to do (e.g., game drives, boat cruises, or walking safaris).
As such, it’s important that you choose the right African safari vacation for yourself and/or your family. When selecting a trip, think about what matters most to you in terms of accommodation, activities, and cost. The more specific your needs are the better chance there is of finding exactly what suits those needs best!
Tanzania is a popular destination for safaris and tours, but it’s not always easy to find the perfect holiday to suit your needs. With so many options available, it can be difficult to decide which one will give you an experience that’s worth paying for. Tanzania has plenty of things to do, from climbing Mount Kilimanjaro or visiting Zanzibar Island all while enjoying some of Africa’s best game viewing opportunities. The key is knowing how each package works so that you can pick the right one for you.